The Performance Company
New York Renaissance Faire’s 36th Season of Outdoor Theatre!
The Performance Company is a major component of the all-day outdoor theatrical production within the New York Renaissance Faire. It is composed of both paid and volunteer actors hired to perform a variety of roles within our re-creation of a 16th century village. “The Shire of Sterling”, set within the Sterling Forest, located in Tuxedo, New York, is just 40 miles from Manhattan in the lower Hudson Valley area.
Seeking ALL Types:
We seek ACTORS with special skills (e.g. stage combat, singing, dancing, ability to play a musical instrument, juggling, acrobatics, etc.) for roles in scripted shows and unscripted shows. We seek NEW Performers interested in training opportunities to acquire or enhance their performing skills, including improvisation. All to be a part of this truly extraordinary outdoor re-creation of a 16th century village, theatre!
Paid positions and volunteer positions available. Numerous roles need to be cast. Among the shows are: Queen Elizabeth’s Court, The Tales of Robin Hood, Hit’ n Run Shakespeare, The Crown Madrigal Singers, Storybook Theatre and The Village Scenario. Note: Must be 16 years of age or older. Minors must have signed parental permission to perform.
WHEN AND WHERE? Choose from EITHER two audition dates and locations:
- MANHATTAN: Saturday, May 4th from 12:00pm – 6:00pm, in Manhattan at the Ripley-Grier Studios, 520 Eighth Avenue (located between 36th & 37th Streets) on the 16th floor. NO Appointment necessary. Those auditioning will be seen in the order of their arrival.
- AT THE FAIRE: Friday, May 3rd from 7:00pm-10:00pm, 600 Rt 17A, Tuxedo, NY in the Performance Company Studio, across the street from Faire entrance, near the Faire office. NO Appointment necessary. Those auditioning will be seen in the order of their arrival.
NOTE: If you should receive a callback, CALLBACKSwill be held on Sunday, MAY 5th from 10:00AM-4:00PM at the Ripley-Grier Studios location in Manhattan only.
WHAT ARE THE REHEARSAL COMMITMENTS?
- Rehearsals may include evenings during the week, during the day on weekends in Manhattan, and/or at the Faire site, in Tuxedo throughout June and July. (Individual rehearsal requirements are subject to casting.)
- There are a total of 17 performance dates, Saturdays, Sundays including Labor Day, August 3rd thru September 22nd, 2013.
- Performers are responsible for arranging own transportation for all rehearsals and performances. (Carpooling is encouraged.)
- FREE onsite camping (for 18+ years of age) is available for weekend July rehearsals, dress rehearsals and performance weekends.
WHAT DO I PREPARE FOR THE AUDITION?
- Bring an 8” x 10” picture with theatrical resume attached.
- Prepare a memorized comedic or dramatic monologue (classical preferred, but contemporary is acceptable.) Monologue length should be 1 to 2 minutes long.
- You MAY be asked to ‘improv’.
- Singers should also prepare 16-32 bars a capella.
- IF cast, Performance Company members will be guided through improvisation and language workshops in order to acquire those skills necessary to effectively portray their characters.
What is the compensation?
- There are a limited number of paid Performance Company Member contracts that receive a paid daily rate for the 17 performance dates. Rehearsal dates are not paid.
- Volunteer Performance Company Members receive training opportunities to acquire or enhance their performing skills.
- ALL 2013 Performance Company Members will be provided on-site camping privileges during performance weekends (18+ years of age only), preferred actor parking, complimentary passes for family & friends, actor-training workshops, and the extraordinary experience of performing LIVE theatre in our beautiful re-creation of a 16th century village.
Need additional audition information?
Call the Performance Company Directors at Faire Office: 845-351-5174 OR email:
2013 INDEPENDENT PERFORMERS: At this time, no further Independent Performers are being considered for the upcoming 2013 Season. If you wish to be considered for the 2014 season please contact Kristen Mansour at firstname.lastname@example.org at the conclusion of the 2013 season! Thank you for your interest!